Regional Project/Programme Manager – MENA
Transparency International– International Defence and Security Programme
- Role reports to the Conflict and Insecurity Programme Manager
- Salary: 25,000 GBP (appx 30,000 USD) per annum
- Permanent, full time (35 hpw)
- 25 days holiday (in addition to public holidays)
- Location: Beirut
TI’s Defence and Security is working towards a world in which governments, the armed forces, and arms transfers are transparent, accountable, and free from corruption. We seek reforms towards open governments served by transparent defence institutions that are accountable to ordinary people and whose primary purpose is the protection of all citizens. We believe the defence industry supporting these institutions should provide capability based on clear national defence strategies in a fair and open market, and be held to account through effective and independent oversight mechanisms rooted in functioning civil societies and efficient government procurement. Our team is open and collaborative, and we offer excellent team spirit and an environment in which everybody contributes. Further details of our work can be found here
This role is a newly created post and would be based in TI’s Beirut office – TI Lebanon.
We are looking for a permanent Regional Project/Programme Manager to lead Transparency International’s work on defence and security in the Middle East and North Africa. The role will involve developing and leading projects to increase oversight and accountability of defence forces, in collaboration with local TI partners. This will be an exciting opportunity to make a real impact. You will work as part of a dedicated international team that is committed to fighting corruption within the defence and security sector and the arms trade. We are looking for someone who is passionate, able to work independently, and is ready for a challenge.
Your responsibilities will include identifying well thought through strategies for influencing change, managing researchers and communicating TI’s work to the public. The Regional Manager will also play a vital role in delivering TI’s flagship research on defence and security issues – the Government Defence Anti-Corruption Index (GI), including advocating at senior levels for the implementation of TI’s recommendations within defence institutions.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Leadership skills or strong leadership potential, with demonstrated experience of taking ownership and responsibility for the successful delivery of goals/projects;
- Excellent people and communication skills,
- Credible track record of research, advocacy and/or project management related to defence and security, corruption and/or governance;
- Skilled at networking and building strong working relationships with individuals and organisations;
- Understanding of the defence sector.
- 5-10 years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent command of verbal and written English and Arabic.
- Undergraduate degree level qualification in defence, public policy, politics or other relevant field.
- Track record of working effectively with or in the defence sector and of successfully influencing and persuading others, in government or in business;
- Ability to work with or in the military.
- Experience of external communications, and working with the media.
- Experience managing research projects.
- The ability to write with flair.
- French would be an advantage, but not essential
- A ‘self-starter’, able to quickly assimilate new information and to prioritise;
- Able to work as part of a broader team, which is geographically dispersed, with the confidence and ability to generate and seek support for new ideas and thinking;
- Fluency in English and Arabic, with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A commitment to Transparency International’s core values: Transparency, Accountability, Integrity, Solidarity, Courage, Justice and Democracy
- The deadline for applications is March 31. Applicants should send the following two items, preferably in pdf format:
- Cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the role and why you are applying (1 page max)
- CV (2 pages max), with details of relevant experience
Applications should be sent by e-mail to email@example.com
Please include your name and the role you are applying for in the subject line.
Only applications with both of the requested components will be considered.
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications. Short-listed applicants will be notified by April 1. If you have not been notified by this date, you should assume that we do not wish to proceed further with your application.
Transparency International and the Lebanese Transparency Association are equal opportunity employers.