Regional Programme Manager – Sub-Saharan Africa
Transparency International– International Defence and Security Programme
- Role reports to TI-DS Programme Manager – Corruption, Conflict and Instability Team
- Salary: 2.5 million Nigerian Naira
- Initial 12 months fixed term, with potential to become permanent
- Full time (35 hpw)
- 25 days holiday (in addition to public holidays).
- Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Transparency International Defence and Security (TI-DS) is working towards a world in which governments, the armed forces, and arms transfers are transparent, accountable, and free from corruption. We seek reforms towards open governments served by transparent defence institutions that are accountable to ordinary people and whose primary purpose is the protection of all citizens.
The goals of the TI-DS Conflict, Insecurity and Corruption Programme are to ensure that corruption is recognised as a threat to security and peace; to reduce corruption and increase accountability in defence establishments in a fragile and conflict affected states; and to advocate for interventions that encourage accountability and don’t contribute or sustain corruption.
We are currently looking for someone to lead TI-DS’s work in Sub-Saharan Africa, based out of Abuja, Nigeria. The role will include developing and leading projects to increase oversight and accountability of defence forces, in collaboration with local TI partners. The Regional Programme Manager will contribute to research and manage local researchers, turn research into compelling policy recommendations for policymakers in the region and in the UK and US, communicate our work to the public and governments in the region, and advocate for reforms that make a difference in the fight against corruption in the defence sector.
This will be an exciting opportunity to make a real impact. You will work as part of a dedicated transnational team that is committed to fighting corruption within the defence and security sector and the arms trade. We are looking for someone who is passionate, driven and goal-oriented, and up for a challenge.
We are looking for a permanent Regional Project/Programme Manager to lead Transparency International’s work on defence and security in Sub-Saharan Africa. The role will involve developing and leading projects to increase oversight and accountability of defence forces, in collaboration with local TI partners. This will be an exciting opportunity to make a real impact. You will work as part of a dedicated international team that is committed to fighting corruption within the defence and security sector and the arms trade. We are looking for someone who is passionate, able to work independently, and is ready for a challenge.
Your responsibilities will include identifying well thought through strategies for influencing change, managing researchers and communicating TI’s work to the public. The Regional Manager will also play a vital role in delivering TI’s flagship research on defence and security issues – the Government Defence Anti-Corruption Index (GI), including advocating at senior levels for the implementation of TI’s recommendations within defence institutions.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- Leadership skills or strong leadership potential, with demonstrated experience of taking ownership and responsibility for the successful delivery of goals/projects;
- Excellent people and communication skills,
- Credible track record of research, advocacy and/or project management related to defence and security, corruption and/or governance;
- Skilled at networking and building strong working relationships with individuals and organisations;
- Understanding of the defence sector.
- 5-10 years of relevant work experience.
- Excellent command of verbal and written English, and French.
- Undergraduate degree level qualification in defence, public policy, politics or other relevant field.
- Track record of working effectively with or in the defence sector and of successfully influencing and persuading others, in government or in business;
- Experience working with or in the military.
- Experience of external communications, and working with the media.
- Experience managing research projects.
- The ability to write with flair.
- A ‘self-starter’, able to quickly assimilate new information and to prioritise;
- Able to work as part of a broader team, which is geographically dispersed, with the confidence and ability to generate and seek support for new ideas and thinking;
- Fluency in English and French, with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- A commitment to Transparency International’s core values: Transparency, Accountability, Integrity, Solidarity, Courage, Justice and Democracy
- The deadline for applications is 13 March 2017. Applicants should send the following two items, preferably in pdf format:
- Cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the role and why you are applying (1 page max)
- CV (2 pages max), with details of relevant experience
Applications should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your name and the role you are applying for in the subject line.
Only applications with both of the requested components will be considered.
- 13 March 2017. Application deadline. Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications.
- 16 March 2017. Short-listed applicants notified. If you have not been notified by this date, you should assume that we do not wish to proceed further with your application.
- 20-21 March 2017. Interviews via Skype.
- 23 March: Candidates notified of decision.
- 24 April 2017 (flexible). Role opens in Abuja.
Transparency International UK is an equal opportunity employer.